As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Toasted Almond Cake is a delectable dessert that seamlessly combines the nutty flavour of almonds with the sweetness of the cake, making it an irresistible treat for any occasion. If you’re looking to indulge your taste buds with a homemade almond cake that’s moist, flavorful, and perfect for celebrations, you’re in the right place. In this article, we will provide you with a detailed and mouthwatering Toasted Almond Cake recipe that will leave your family and friends asking for seconds.
Ingredients You’ll Need
Before we embark on this culinary journey, let’s gather all the essential ingredients to create this masterpiece. Here’s what you’ll need:
For the Cake:
- 1 cup Unsalted (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted almonds (for the cake batter)
For the Almond Buttercream:
- 1 cup unsalted (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 2-3 tablespoons milk or cream
- 1/2 cup finely chopped toasted almonds (for decorating the cake)
- Two 8-inch round cake pans
- Parchment paper
- Electric mixer (stand mixer or handheld)
- Mixing bowls
- Wire rack
- Offset spatula
- Cake decorating tools (if desired)
- Oven for toasting the almonds
- Sliced almonds or extra chopped toasted almonds for decorating the top of the cake
Please note that you’ll need to toast the almonds before using them in the cake and for decoration. To toast almonds, simply place them on a baking sheet in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 5-7 minutes, or until they become fragrant and lightly browned. Be careful not to over-toast them, as they can burn quickly.
Additionally, you can add some sliced or chopped toasted almonds on top of the frosted cake for a decorative touch and extra almond flavour.
Step-by-step Instructions: for Toasted almond cake recipe
1. Preheat and Prepare:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Grease two 8-inch spherical cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper. Set them aside.
2. Cream Butter and Sugar:
- In a mixing bowl, cream the room-temperature butter and granulated sugar together using an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
3. Add Eggs and Almond Extract:
- Upload the eggs one by one, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in the pure almond extract.
4. Combine Dry Ingredients:
- In a separate bowl, sift together the all-motive flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
5. Add Dry Ingredients and Sour Cream:
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the sour cream, starting and ending with the dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
6. Fold in Toasted Almonds:
- Gently fold the finely chopped toasted almonds into the cake batter.
7. Divide and Bake:
- Divide the batter evenly among the organized cake pans
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 25-half-hour, or till a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out easily.
8. Cool and Remove From Pans:
- Permit the desserts to cool inside the pans for about 10 minutes, then put off the pans and area them on a twine rack to cool absolutely.
9. Prepare Almond Buttercream:
- In a clean mixing bowl, beat the room-temperature butter till creamy.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, almond extract, and milk or cream, mixing until you achieve a smooth and spreadable consistency.
10. Frost the Cake:
- Once the cakes are completely cool, spread a layer of almond buttercream on top of one cake layer.
- Place the second cake layer on top and frost the top and sides of the entire cake with the remaining almond buttercream.
11. Decorate with Toasted Almonds:
- Decorate the top of the cake with finely chopped toasted almonds and optionally, sliced almonds.
12. Serve and Enjoy:
- Slice and serve your toasted almond cake, and enjoy!
This recipe will result in a moist and flavorful almond cake with a delightful almond buttercream. It’s ideal for unique events or as a treat at any time of the year.
Prepare before making toasted almond cake
Before you start making a toasted almond cake, it’s important to be well-prepared to ensure a smooth and efficient baking process. Here’s a list of steps and preparations to consider:
- Read the Recipe: Start by reading the toasted almond cake recipe carefully to understand the steps and ensure you have all the necessary ingredients and equipment.
- Gather Ingredients: Collect all the required ingredients and measure them out accurately. This includes butter, sugar, eggs, almond extract, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sour cream, and toasted almonds for the cake. For the almond buttercream, you’ll need butter, powdered sugar, almond extract, and milk or cream.
- Preheat Your Oven: Preheat your oven to the temperature specified in the recipe (usually 350°F or 175°C) to ensure it’s ready when you need it.
- Prepare Cake Pans: Grease and line two 8-inch round cake pans with parchment paper. This prevents the cake from sticking to the pans and makes it easier to remove them later.
- Toast Almonds: If your toasted almonds are not already prepared, toast them in the preheated oven. Spread the almonds on a baking sheet and toast them until they’re fragrant and lightly browned. Be sure not to burn them, as this can happen quickly.
- Set Out Butter and Eggs: Make sure the butter is at room temperature, as this will make it easier to cream with the sugar. Additionally, have your eggs at room temperature, which helps in achieving a smoother batter.
- Prepare Mixing Equipment: Ensure that your electric mixer (stand mixer or handheld) is clean and ready to use. Have mixing bowls and utensils handy.
- Measure Almond Extract: Measure out the required amount of almond extract.
- Sift Dry Ingredients: Sift the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a separate bowl to ensure even distribution and a smoother cake batter.
- Chop Almonds: Finely chop the toasted almonds that will go into the cake batter and the ones you plan to use for decorating the cake.
- Prepare Almond Buttercream Ingredients: If you’re making the almond buttercream, make sure the butter is at room temperature. Measure out the powdered sugar and have the almond extract and milk or cream ready.
- Assemble Equipment: Set up a wire rack to cool the cakes on once they come out of the oven. Also, have an offset spatula or cake-decorating tools ready if you plan to frost and decorate the cake.
With all these preparations in place, you’ll be ready to easily make your toasted almond cake and ensure a successful baking experience. Following the recipe instructions and staying organized will help you achieve a delicious and beautifully decorated cake.
The time to make the toasted almond cake
The time required to make a toasted almond cake can vary depending on your experience, the efficiency of your kitchen, and the specific steps involved. Here’s a rough breakdown of the time you can expect for each part of the process:
Preparation Time: Approximately 20-30 minutes
- Gathering and measuring ingredients: 10-15 minutes
- Preparing cake pans and parchment paper: 5-10 minutes
- Toasting the almonds: 5-7 minutes (if not already toasted)
Baking Time: Approximately 25-30 minutes
- Baking the cake layers: 25-30 minutes (varies based on your oven)
Cooling Time: Approximately 1 hour
- Cooling the cake layers in the pans: 10 minutes
- Cooling the cake layers on a wire rack: 30-40 minutes
- Cooling the cake completely before frosting: 15-20 minutes
Frosting and Decorating Time: Approximately 20-30 minutes
- Preparing the almond buttercream: 10-15 minutes
- Frosting and decorating the cake: 10-15 minutes
Total Time: Approximately 2 hours
Please note that these time estimates are approximate and can vary depending on your experience and kitchen setup. It’s always a good idea to read through the recipe and gather all the necessary ingredients and equipment in advance to streamline the process. Additionally, remember that the cooling time is crucial to ensure the cake is at the right temperature before frosting. Enjoy making and savouring your toasted almond cake!
How to store the toasted almond cake
To store a toasted almond cake properly and maintain its freshness, follow these steps:
- Cool Completely: Before storing the cake, ensure it has cooled completely. Placing a warm cake in storage can create condensation, which can make the cake soggy.
- Wrap Airtight: Once the cake has cooled, wrap it airtight to prevent it from drying out and to keep it fresh. Right here are a few techniques to keep in mind
- Plastic Wrap: You can wrap the cake tightly in plastic wrap. Make sure the plastic wrap is in direct contact with the cake’s surface to minimize air exposure.
- Aluminium Foil: Alternatively, you can wrap the cake in aluminium foil. Again, ensure it’s wrapped securely to maintain freshness.
- A Cake Keeper: If you have a cake keeper or a cake storage container with a tight-fitting lid, you can place the cake in it.
- Refrigeration (Optional): If the cake has perishable fillings or frostings, such as cream cheese or custard-based fillings, it’s a good idea to store it in the refrigerator. However, if the cake is frosted with a stable buttercream and does not contain perishable fillings, it can be stored at room temperature.
- Room Temperature Storage: If you choose to store the cake at room temperature, find a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and extreme temperature changes. A cake stored at room temperature can typically be kept for 2-3 days.
- Refrigerated Storage: When refrigerating the cake, place it in the refrigerator with its airtight wrapping. Remember that refrigeration can sometimes cause a cake to dry out, so try to consume it within 3-4 days. When ready to serve, allow the cake to come to room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving, as it will taste better at a slightly warmer temperature.
- Freezing (Long-term Storage): If you want to store the cake for an extended period, you can freeze it. To freeze a cake, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then place it in an airtight container or a resealable freezer bag. Frozen cake can be stored for 2-3 months. Thaw the cake in the refrigerator or at room temperature when you’re ready to enjoy it.
Remember to check the specific recipe for any special instructions on storage, especially if the cake contains ingredients that require refrigeration. Properly stored, your toasted almond cake will remain fresh and delicious for an extended period.
Certainly! Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) related to making a toasted almond cake:
Can I use almond meal or almond flour in the cake batter?
Yes, you can use almond meal or almond flour in the cake batter for a more pronounced almond flavour and a slightly different texture. However, you may need to adjust the recipe slightly to accommodate the use of almond meal or flour.
What can I substitute for sour cream on the cake?
You can replace sour cream with an identical amount of Greek yoghurt or buttermilk. These alternatives will provide moisture and a tangy flavour similar to sour cream.
Can I make the almond cake in advance?
Yes, you can make the almond cake in advance. You can bake the cake layers, allow them to cool, and then wrap them tightly in plastic wrap. Store them in an airtight container or resealable bags in the freezer for up to a few weeks. When ready to use, thaw them at room temperature, frost, and serve.
How can I store the finished cake?
Store the finished toasted almond cake in an airtight container or cover it with plastic wrap. Preserve it in the refrigerator to preserve freshness. The cake can be stored for up to 3-4 days.
Can I make the almond buttercream in advance?
Yes, you can make the almond buttercream in advance and store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a few days. Before using, allow it to come to room temperature and re-whip it for a smooth consistency.
What can I use to decorate the cake if I don’t have sliced almonds?
If you don’t have sliced almonds for decoration, you can use whole toasted almonds, chopped toasted almonds, or even additional powdered sugar to dust the top of the cake for a simple and elegant look.
Can I make this cake gluten-free?
You can attempt to make a gluten-free version of this cake by using a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend. Make sure it is a suitable substitute for regular flour in baking. Additionally, ensure that all other ingredients used are gluten-free to avoid cross-contamination.
What’s the best way to toast almonds for this cake?
To toast almonds for this cake, spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet and place them in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for about 5-7 minutes or until they become fragrant and lightly browned. Watch them closely to prevent burning, as almonds can toast quickly.
If you have any more questions or need further clarification on any aspect of making the toasted almond cake, please feel free to ask!
In conclusion, the Toasted Almond Cake is a delightful treat suitable for any occasion. Its unique blend of almond goodness and the perfect balance of sweetness will make it a favourite among your family and friends. So, roll up your sleeves, preheat your oven, and embark on the journey of creating your very own Toasted Almond Cake today!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.