As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re a fan of delectable, moist, and flavorful cakes, you’re in for a treat! In this article, we’re going to delve into the delightful world of Magnolia Bakery’s Hummingbird Cake, a classic dessert that’s sure to impress your taste buds and leave you craving for more. Whether you’re an experienced baker or a novice in the kitchen, this recipe is designed to help you create a mouthwatering masterpiece. Let’s get started with the ingredients and step-by-step instructions to make the perfect Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake.
The Magnolia Bakery hummingbird cake is a classic Southern dessert that’s known for its heavenly blend of flavours. Combining ripe bananas, crushed pineapple, pecans, and cream cheese frosting, this cake is a true crowd-pleaser. Whether you’re a baking novice or an experienced pastry chef, our guide will help you create the perfect hummingbird cake.
Ingredients You Will Need
To begin, let’s gather all the ingredients you’ll need for this mouthwatering creation:
For the Cake:
- 3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 and 1/2 cups of vegetable oil
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 can (eight ounces) of beaten pineapple, undrained
- 2 cups of mashed ripe bananas (about 4 bananas)
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened
- 2 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese, softened
- 2 pounds of confectioners’ sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- Additional chopped pecans
- Banana slices
- Edible flowers
Now that we have our ingredients ready, let’s get down to the baking process. Follow these simple steps to make your Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease and flour three 9-inch round cake pans.
- In a massive blending bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Mix these dry ingredients thoroughly.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, vegetable oil, and vanilla extract until well combined. Then, add the crushed pineapple, mashed bananas, and chopped pecans. Mix until everything is evenly incorporated.
- Progressively add the moist mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring until the batter is clean.
- Divide the batter similarly to a few of the 3 prepared cake pans. Smooth the tops with a spatula.
- Bake inside the preheated oven for about 25 half-hour or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the dessert comes out smooth.
- Allow the cakes to cool inside the pans for approximately 10 minutes before transferring them to cord racks to chill completely
Making the Cream Cheese Frosting
While the cakes are cooling, you can prepare the luscious cream cheese frosting:
- In a massive mixing bowl, beat the softened butter and cream cheese till creamy and easy..
- Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract, beating until the frosting is fluffy and well mixed.
Assembling the Cake
Now, it’s time to assemble your Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake:
- Place one cake layer on a serving platter. Unfold a beneficial layer of cream cheese frosting on the pinnacle.
- Upload the second cake layer and frost it as well. Repeat with the third layer.
- Use the last frosting to cover the sides of the cake.
- If desired, decorate the cake with chopped pecans, banana slices, and edible flowers for a beautiful finishing touch.
Serving and Enjoying
Your Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake is now ready to be enjoyed! Slice it up and serve to your delighted guests. The blend of flavours and the moist, tender crumb of the cake will leave everyone asking for seconds.
This recipe captures the essence of Magnolia Bakery’s famous Hummingbird Cake, and you can now recreate it in your kitchen. The tropical flavours of pineapple and banana, combined with the richness of pecans, make this cake a true showstopper.
Expert Tips for Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake Recipe
Certainly! Here are some expert tips to help you make the best Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake:
1. Use Ripe Bananas:
- Ensure your bananas are ripe. The riper they are, the sweeter and more flavorful they’ll be in the cake.
2. Properly Measure Your Flour:
- Whilst measuring the flour, spoon it into the measuring cup and level it off with a flat edge. Avoid scooping directly from the flour bag, as it can lead to inaccurate measurements.
3. Don’t Overmix the Batter:
- Mix the cake batter until the ingredients are just combined. Overmixing can bring about a denser cake.
4. Use Fresh Pineapple or Canned:
- You can use either fresh or canned crushed pineapple. If using canned pineapple, ensure to drain it nicely. If using fresh, consider draining any excess juice to maintain the right moisture level in the cake.
5. Toast Nuts for Extra Flavor:
- Toast the chopped pecans or walnuts in the oven for a few minutes before adding them to the batter. Toasting complements their taste and provides a pleasing crunch.
6. Even Cake Layers:
- To ensure even cake layers, measure the batter with a kitchen scale and distribute it equally among the pans.
7. Check for Doneness:
- Use the toothpick test to determine if the cake is done. Insert a toothpick into the middle of the cake; if it comes out smooth, the cake is ready.
8. Allow Cakes to Cool Completely:
- Let the cake layers cool in their pans for about 10 minutes, then transfer them to wire racks to cool completely before frosting. This prevents the frosting from melting.
9. Chill the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- For a sturdier frosting, chill it in the refrigerator for about 15-30 minutes before applying it to the cake.
10. Freeze for Easy Cutting:
- If you find it challenging to cut the cake into even slices, try freezing it for about 30 minutes before slicing. This makes for cleaner and more precise cuts.
11. Customize the Frosting:
- You can adjust the sweetness and tanginess of the cream cheese frosting by adding more or less powdered sugar to suit your taste.
12. Presentation Matters:
- Take your time to decorate the cake. A beautifully presented cake is always more inviting. You can use extra nuts, banana slices, or a sprinkle of cinnamon for a finishing touch.
13. Plan Ahead:
- This cake is best when it’s had time to set and the flavours meld, so consider making it a day in advance for optimal taste.
By following these expert tips, you’ll be well on your way to creating a delicious and visually appealing Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake. Enjoy your baking!
Dietary Considerations and Customizations
Certainly! Here are some dietary considerations and customizations for the Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake:
1. Gluten-Free Option:
- To make the cake gluten-free, use a gluten-free all-purpose flour blend in place of regular flour. Also, ensure that other ingredients like baking powder and baking soda are certified gluten-free.
2. Dairy-Free Option:
- For a dairy-free version, use a non-dairy margarine or coconut oil in place of butter and use dairy-free cream cheese in the frosting.
3. Reduced Sugar:
- If you want to reduce the sugar content, you can use less sugar in the cake batter or use a sugar substitute like stevia or erythritol. Be mindful that this might affect the texture and taste.
4. Nut Allergies:
- If you or someone you’re serving has nut allergies, simply omit the nuts from the recipe. You can also consider using seeds like pumpkin or sunflower seeds for added texture.
5. Vegan Option:
- To make a vegan version, use egg substitutes like flax eggs or applesauce in place of eggs, and use plant-based milk for brushing the cake layers.
6. Healthier Ingredients:
- You can make the cake a bit healthier by using whole wheat flour, reducing the amount of sugar, and using a lighter frosting, such as whipped coconut cream or a Greek yoghurt-based frosting.
7. Fruit Variations:
- Get creative with the fruit component by adding other fruits like diced mango or shredded coconut to the cake batter.
- Customize the cake’s appearance by decorating it with fresh fruit slices, edible flowers, or grated chocolate for added visual appeal.
9. Portion Control:
- If you’re concerned about serving large portions, consider making cupcakes instead of a large cake. Adjust the baking time accordingly.
Remember that making these customizations may alter the taste and texture of the cake, so be prepared for some variation from the traditional Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake. Always check labels and ingredient lists to ensure they meet specific dietary requirements, and consider personal preferences when customizing the recipe. Enjoy your homemade cake while accommodating your dietary needs!
Why the Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake is Special
The Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake is a special treat for several reasons:
- Flavorful Combination: The cake’s unique combination of ingredients, including ripe bananas, crushed pineapple, and chopped pecans, creates a flavour profile that is both sweet and nutty. The cream cheese frosting adds a delightful contrast with its creamy and tangy taste.
- Moist and Tender: This cake is known for its exceptional moisture and tenderness. The bananas and pineapple keep it moist, while the pecans add a satisfying crunch.
- Versatility: The Hummingbird Cake is a versatile dessert that can be enjoyed on various occasions, from birthdays to holidays. Its appealing appearance and delicious taste make it a crowd-pleaser.
Store Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake and serve
Storing and serving Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake can be a delightful experience. Here’s how you can do it:
Storing Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake:
- Refrigeration: Due to the cream cheese frosting, it’s best to store the cake in the refrigerator. Place it in an airtight container or cover it with plastic wrap to prevent the cake from drying out and absorbing other odours.
- Freezing: In case you want to keep the cake for a prolonged duration, you can freeze it. To do this, wrap the cake in plastic wrap or aluminium foil and place it in an airtight container or a resealable plastic bag. It could be saved inside the freezer for up to a few months. Thaw it in the fridge while you’re prepared to experience it again.
- Keep It Level: Store the cake on a flat surface to maintain its shape and prevent it from getting squished or misshapen.
Serving Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake:
- Temperature: Earlier than serving, allow the cake to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes to an hour. This allows the frosting to soften and the flavours to be at their best.
- Slicing: Use a sharp knife dipped in hot water for clean and easy slices. Wipe the knife smooth between cuts for a neat presentation.
- Portion Sizes: The typical portion size for a slice of cake is around 1 inch wide. However, you can adjust this based on your preferences and the occasion.
- Plates and Utensils: Use dessert plates and forks for a more elegant presentation. Ensure you have enough utensils for your guests.
- Garnish: For added flair, you can garnish each slice with a sprinkle of finely chopped pecans or a small banana slice.
- Pairing: Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake is delicious on its own, but you can also serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream for a special treat.
- Presentation: Consider presenting the cake on a cake stand or a decorative platter to make it more visually appealing.
- Enjoy: Encourage your guests to savour the flavours and enjoy the delightful combination of pineapple, banana, and cream cheese frosting.
Remember that the beauty of the Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake is not only in its taste but also in its presentation. Whether you’re serving it to family and friends or at a special event, these tips will help you store and serve this classic cake in the best possible way.
Can I use walnuts instead of pecans?
Yes, walnuts can be a suitable alternative for pecans if you prefer.
How should I store the leftover cake?
Store it in the refrigerator to maintain its freshness.
Can I make this cake gluten-free?
Yes, you can use gluten-free flour to make a gluten-free version of this cake.
Is there a vegan version of this cake?
You can adapt the recipe with egg substitutes and dairy-free cream cheese for a vegan option.
How long does it take to make the hummingbird cake?
The entire process usually takes around 1.5 to 2 hours, including baking and assembly.
Can I freeze the cake for later?
Yes, you can freeze the unfrosted cake layers for future use.
In conclusion, the Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake is a classic Southern dessert that has captured the hearts and taste buds of many. With its rich history and delightful flavour, it’s a must-try for anyone with a sweet tooth. By following the detailed recipe provided in this article, you can create your version of this beloved cake and enjoy its unique and wonderful taste. So, don your apron, gather your ingredients, and let’s get baking – your taste buds will thank you!
Now, with the knowledge and skills to make a mouthwatering Magnolia Bakery Hummingbird Cake, it’s time to put on your apron and get started. Happy baking! Don’t forget to visit https://twinsunsdeli.com for more delectable recipes and culinary inspiration.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.