As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Famous Faidley’s crab cake recipe, When it comes to iconic seafood dishes, few can rival the legendary Faidley’s Crab Cakes. Nestled in Baltimore’s historic Lexington Market, Faidley’s Seafood has been serving up these delectable crab cakes for over a century. Now, you can bring a taste of Maryland’s culinary history to your own kitchen with the authentic Faidley’s Crab Cakes recipe. In this article, we will guide you through the step-by-step technique of making this mouthwatering dish.
The Ingredients Famous Faidley’s Crab Cake recipe: The Heart of the Crab Cake
The secret to Faidley’s Crab Cakes lies in the quality of the ingredients. Jumbo lump crab meat, hand-picked and meticulously inspected for freshness, takes centre stage. This premium crab meat is known for its sweet, succulent flavour and delicate texture, setting Faidley’s apart from the competition
The Preparation Process:
Crafting Faidley’s Crab Cakes is a labour of love. The ingredients are gently folded together to ensure that the lump crab meat remains intact. Careful handling and attention to detail are essential to preserve the natural sweetness and texture of the crab.
For the Crab Cakes:
1 pound of jumbo lump crab meat
2 Slices of white bread, crusts removed, and torn into small pieces
1/4 cup of mayonnaise
1 large egg
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon of Old Bay seasoning
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup of chopped green onions
1/4 cup of chopped red bell pepper
For the Tartar Sauce (optional):
1/2 cup of mayonnaise
2 tablespoons of sweet pickle relish
1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of black pepper
Instructions: How To Make Faidley’s Crab Cake
Prepare the Crab Meat: Carefully inspect the crab meat for any shells or cartilage and pick them out. Be gentle to preserve the lump crab meat’s integrity.
Make the Binding Mixture: In a large bowl, combine the torn white bread, mayonnaise, egg, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay seasoning, salt, and black pepper. Mix till the components are well mixed.
Add the Crab Meat: Gently fold the jumbo lump crab meat into the binding mixture. Be cautious not to break up the crab meat lumps.
Incorporate the Fresh Ingredients: Add the chopped parsley, green onions, and red bell pepper to the mixture. Again, fold everything together gently to maintain the crab meat’s texture.
Shape the Crab Cakes: Divide the mixture into equal portions and shape them into crab cakes. You could cause them to be as huge or as small as you pick.
Cook the Crab Cakes: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add a generous amount of cooking oil. Once the oil is warm, cautiously area the crab cakes inside the skillet. Cook them for about 3-4 mins on each facet or until they are golden brown and crispy.
Serve: Remove the crab cakes from the skillet and let them drain on paper towels briefly. Serve hot with your favourite side dishes, such as coleslaw and crackers.
Optional Tartar Sauce:
If you prefer tartar sauce with your crab cakes, it’s easy to prepare. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, sweet pickle relish, Dijon mustard, fresh lemon juice, salt, and black pepper. Mix nicely, and refrigerate till you are geared up to serve
How to Store Faidley’s Crab Cakes
Storing Faidley’s Crab Cakes properly is essential to maintain their flavour and quality. Here’s how to do it:
- Immediate Consumption: Ideally, enjoy Faidley’s Crab Cakes as soon as they are prepared. Freshly cooked crab cakes offer the best flavour and texture.
- Refrigeration: If you need to store crab cakes for a short time before serving, place them in an airtight container or wrap them tightly in plastic wrap. Store them in the refrigerator at a temperature of 40°F (4°C) or lower.
- Use Within 2-3 Days: For optimal quality, consume the refrigerated crab cakes within 2-3 days. Crab meat is delicate and can spoil quickly, so it’s important not to store them for too long.
- Avoid Freezing: While it’s possible to freeze crab cakes, it’s not recommended as freezing can alter their texture and flavor. If you need to freeze them, wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and area them in a hermetic container. Use them within 1-2 months for the best results.
- Reheating: To reheat refrigerated crab cakes, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the crab cakes on a baking sheet and heat for about 10-15 minutes or until they are heated through. Avoid using the microwave, as it can make them soggy.
- Serve with Fresh Accompaniments: When reheating or serving leftover crab cakes, consider adding fresh sides and condiments like crackers, coleslaw, and tartar sauce to enhance the overall dining experience.
To truly savour the excellence of Faidley’s Crab Cakes, they are traditionally served with crackers, a side of coleslaw, and a dollop of zesty tartar sauce. The combination of textures and flavours creates a symphony of flavour that is without a doubt impossible to resist.
The Legacy of Faidley’s Crab Cakes
Faidley’s Seafood, a renowned establishment nestled in Baltimore’s historic Lexington Market, has been a culinary institution since its inception in 1886. With over a century of tradition, the Faidley family has mastered the art of creating the perfect crab cake, making them an essential part of Baltimore’s food culture.
FAQ About Faidley’s Crab Cake
1. What makes Faidley’s Crab Cakes so special?
Faidley’s Crab Cakes are renowned for their exceptional quality and flavour. The secret lies in their use of jumbo lump crab meat, meticulously selected and known for its sweet and delicate taste. Their time-honoured recipe and expert preparation techniques have made them a culinary legend in Baltimore.
2. Can you share the exact recipe for Faidley’s Crab Cakes?
The exact recipe for Faidley’s Crab Cakes is a closely guarded secret. However, it is known to include premium ingredients like fresh breadcrumbs, mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Old Bay seasoning, and a blend of aromatic herbs and spices.
3. How are Faidley’s Crab Cakes prepared?
Crafting Faidley’s Crab Cakes is a meticulous process. The ingredients are gently folded together to ensure the lump crab meat remains intact. The cakes are then pan-fried to golden perfection, creating a crispy exterior while keeping the interior moist and tender.
4. What are the recommended serving suggestions for Faidley’s Crab Cakes?
Faidley’s Crab Cakes are traditionally served with crackers, a side of coleslaw, and a dollop of zesty tartar sauce. This combination of textures and flavours creates a delightful culinary experience.
5. Where can I enjoy Faidley’s Crab Cakes?
You can savour the excellence of Faidley’s Crab Cakes at Faidley’s Seafood, located in Baltimore’s historic Lexington Market. It’s a must-visit vacation spot for locals and vacationers alike Also here
6. Can I find Faidley’s Crab Cakes outside of Baltimore?
While the primary location of Faidley’s Seafood is in Baltimore, they have gained national recognition, and you may find them featured on the menus of select seafood restaurants in other regions.
7. What sets Faidley’s Crab Cakes apart from other crab cake offerings?
Faidley’s Crab Cakes stands out due to its commitment to using the finest ingredients, expert preparation techniques, and a tradition of excellence that spans over a century. This dedication to quality makes them a cut above the rest.
8. Can I order Faidley’s Crab Cakes online?
As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, Faidley’s Seafood did offer online ordering and shipping options. However, it’s advisable to visit their official website or contact them directly for the most up-to-date information on online ordering and shipping.
9. Are there any other notable dishes at Faidley’s Seafood?
While Faidley’s Crab Cakes steal the spotlight, the seafood market also offers a variety of other delectable seafood options, including fresh oysters, shrimp, and more. It’s a seafood lover’s paradise.
If you have any more questions or need further information, please feel free to ask.
Faidley’s Crab Cakes are best enjoyed when freshly made, so try to plan your servings accordingly to savour their full, delectable flavour.
With this Faidley’s Crab Cakes recipe, you can recreate the magic of Baltimore’s culinary heritage in your kitchen. These crab cakes are perfect for special occasions or whenever you crave a taste of the Chesapeake Bay. Enjoy the rich flavours and traditions that make Faidley’s Crab Cakes truly legendary.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.